Recipe: Pinakbet - Pork with vegetables and Bagoong

So this is the first recipe that I've posted here, but I thought it was about time that I started compiling the very tasty recipes that I'm encountering in my journey. It also helps as good practice for my typing because I haven't properly written anything for almost six months ( or in this blog for more than 2 years).

OK, discharges first... next time I'll be sure to get to the kitchen before the recipe is halfway through, but trust me on this one because it's really good and I'm here interviewing the cooks as I write this thing, that's why I don't have more pictures of the process.


Pinakbet

Pan with pumpkin string beans and pork, Pinakbet
A close up on the Pinakbet

Meta

  • Serves approx 4 people
  • Preparation of vegetables: 20-25 min.
  • Cooking time: Approx 40 min.
  • Special characteristics: A good way of having Pumpkin

Ingredients

  • Pumpkin cut into big dice size
  • Pork shoulder approx 250g (Though any pork meat with a good fat to meat ratio should work, I like mine more meatier than fattier, but my friend likes it the other way)
  • Oyster sauce -> Mostly to taste, but I used approx 100ml.
  • Bagoong: 2 or 3 big spoonfuls.
  • Okra ->150g
  • String beans -> a handful
  • Garlic & onions -> as you please
  • Pepper & Salt as needed by your tongue
  • some water for the simmering

Preparation

So you start of by cutting the vegetables into 2-2.5 cm cubes depending on the vegetable so that the chunks don't become soup if they are cooked for 10 minutes alongside the pork.

Then you can mince the garlic and onions and sauté them on a pan, until the kitchen starts smelling really good, just before and the garlic starts becoming brown.

After this, you may add the pork to the pan and wait for it to simmer (approx 10-15 min). When it starts to look like its done, you add a big glass of water, the pumpkin, the okra, the string beans, the oyster sauce and the Bagoong and then you cover the pot with a lid.

you then wait again until the new vegetables are done and let it rest for a while with the lid closed so the vapor finishes cooking everything.

And that's it, the final result should look like the picture above.

This goes really well with plain rice and you can even add some spicy oil here and there.

Ok, that's it for the first recipe, haha, took me long time but here it is.